Popular Peruvian Beer BrandsDespite some fierce brand loyalties among Peruvians, there isn’t exactly a major battle of the beers going on in Peru. Backus produces all of the most popular beers in Peru, including:
- Pilsen Callao
- Pilsen Trujillo
- San Juan
Traditional Beer Drinking CustomsWhether you’re sat around a table in a bar, huddled in a group near a disco dance floor or partaking in an impromptu drinking session on a street corner, you might find yourself drinking in the traditional Peruvian style.
The most notable aspect of this drinking custom is the use of one glass among the gathered group, which is passed from person to person.
To explain the process, imagine Javier and Paolo are knocking back a few beers in a group of five -- with one bottle of beer and one glass:
- Javier fills the glass then passes the bottle to Paolo (sitting next to him). Paolo waits with bottle in hand while Javier drinks.
- Javier quickly drains the glass before flicking the froth from the glass onto the ground (this is standard procedure).
- Javier then passes the glass to Paolo (the bottle holder).
- Paolo takes the glass and refills it before passing the bottle to the next person. He then drains the glass, flicks out the froth and passes it to the person holding the bottle.
- The bottle is passed around -- followed by the one glass -- until the beer is finished (at which point someone will normally buy another bottle).