Lake Bled is one of my new favorite places in the world. Here are some fun facts I found!
- 2,120 meters long
- 1,380 meters wide (at its widest part)
- 29.5 meters deep (at its deepest part)
- It was formed by the Bohinj Glacier after the last Ice Age. The melted ice filled the basin with water and is fed from underground springs today.
- The water has a max temp of 79℉ and is one of the warmest Alpine lakes
- Visitors can walk along the shore on a 3.7 mile walk
- Inhabitants of the lake include ducks, swans, and a wide variety of fish
- Two major structures around the lake are Bled Castle and the Church of the Assumption (both dating back to the 11th century).
- The World Rowing Championships in 1966, 1979, 1989 and 2011 were held at Lake Bled.
- It is one of the most popular tourist locations in all of Slovenia.
Overlooking Lake Bled from Bled Castle
Dusk on Lake Bled
Running along the 3.7 mile path
Church of the Assumption